Most people are immediately shy away at the mention of birth photography, but it is so much more then the first thought that comes to mind. I do not invade your privacy or to make you feel uncomfortable, but rather document all of the moments and interactions that make up the incredible experience of birth. Think of me as a fly on the wall, a silent shadow, there to document and fulfill each mother’s wishes. All families have an in person consultation to discuss the goals of their birth images. These are truly priceless images, documenting the journey that is birth. This ensures everyone is comfortable and prepared during the birthing process.
Having been through labor, I understand that the mother’s primary focus is not always on all of the different aspects that are coming together to form her birth experience – more often than not, her mind is focused on one thing only: get this baby out! Having a birth photographer there to document everything allows the mother to relive the experience through the photographs and often times have a totally different perspective on what happened that day. These are memories that often times are otherwise forgotten. Instead, through a Birth Story, the moments can be cherished for generations.
What is a BIRTH Story? | Monterey Birth Photographer
Birth photography is a photo-journalistic view of the hours surrounding your baby’s arrival. Photos will be shot in the natural and ambient lighting available in the room. Flash is not used except in a rare circumstance and then only with permission of
your doctor. All of your final edited photos will be processed in black and white, which soften the images and better reflect the mood of the event, occasionally there may be a few color images included. It also helps tone down the graphic nature of birth and medical equipment. Occasionally there may be a few color images included, at the photographer’s discretion.
Mint Portrait Studio BIRTH STORIES includes:
• A consultation when you book your due date to get to know each other and answer questions and again at 36-weeks. I ask your partner to come to at least one of our meetings.
• I will be on call 24 hours a day, starting two weeks before your due date until your baby arrives.
• Photography coverage from active labor (about 6 – 7cm dilated) through up to two hours after delivery to capture many of your baby’s firsts. This could mean I’m with you 6 hours or 16 hours, but you are not charged more for a long labor.
• With your permission, a “sneak peek” will be shared on the Mint Portrait Studio Facebook page within 48-hours after birth.
• Within 3 weeks, your final gallery of images will be presented during your private viewing appointment. Your digital files will be available the day of your viewing. All other products will be ordered after this appointment and will be delivered within 3-4 weeks.